Mathematics Essentials 12 Module 3 - Ratio, Rate and Proportion
Specific Curriculum Outcomes
- 3.1 Calculate the dimensions of actual objects using blueprints with various scales
- 3.2 Sketch and build representations of three-dimensional objects using a variety of materials and information about the objects
- 3.3 Illustrate, explain, and express ratios, fractions, decimals, and percents in alternative forms
- 3.4 Find and calculate rates in practical applications such as pulse rate
- 3.5 Estimate and calculate deductions taken from a pay stub as percent of gross earnings
- 3.6 Sketch enlargements and reductions of objects using various scales
- 3.7 Use the slope formula to solve trigonometric problems commonly found in industry
3.1 Activities - Read Blueprints
- Reading Blueprints and Making Scale Drawings from Erick Lee - Use the blueprints for a DHC-3 Otter float plane to determine the actual measurements. Then use these measurements to create a 1/10th scale version with painters tape on the floor (or sidewalk chalk outside).
- Reading Blueprints - Check out blueprints from https://drawingdatabase.com/. You might use these to make drawings at a different scale, or full scale drawings using sidewalk chalk outside. The table of contents from the book Actual Size might also give ideas of object to draw actual sized.
- Active Transportation Improvements- Hollis Street- West Region - This government tender for installing a bike lane on Hollis St in downtown Halifax is a great opportunity to look at some blueprints and scale drawings.
3.2 Activities - Sketch and Build 3D objects
- Use TinkerCAD to create 3D models.
3.4 Activities - Find and Calculate Rates
- Click Battle Desmos Activity - Students use unit rate to predict which robot will win a click race.
- Cookie Clicker game - This is a game that is all about using unit rates to determine what the most efficient strategy is for producing cookies. Give groups of students a time limit and see how many cookies they can make in that time. Ask them how they developed their best strategy.
3.5 Activities - Pay Stub Deductions
This outcome is similar to Mathematics Essentials 10 A2 (explain the difference between gross pay and net pay, and describe possible payroll deductions)
3.6 ACTIVITIES - Enlargements and Reductions
- Marcellus the Giant Desmos Activity - This activity will help your students understand the definition of a proportional relationship. They'll create a giant and then make sure all of his features are proportional. They'll see the representation of his proportions on a graph and manipulate the graph to see the giant change dynamically..
- Scaled Copies Investigation from Aaron Bingea - Do you have a square tile floor in the hallway? Use it to create some 2D shapes using painters tape and then students can create a scaled copies (reductions and/or enlargements) of these shapes.Check out the introductory lesson from Open Up Resources (Grade 7, Unit 1).