Mathematics Essentials 12 Module 3 - Ratio, Rate and Proportion
Specific Curriculum Outcomes
- 3.1 Calculate the dimensions of actual objects using blueprints with various scales
- 3.2 Sketch and build representations of three-dimensional objects using a variety of materials and information about the objects
- 3.3 Illustrate, explain, and express ratios, fractions, decimals, and percents in alternative forms
- 3.4 Find and calculate rates in practical applications such as pulse rate
- 3.5 Estimate and calculate deductions taken from a pay stub as percent of gross earnings
- 3.6 Sketch enlargements and reductions of objects using various scales
- 3.7 Use the slope formula to solve trigonometric problems commonly found in industry
3.1 Activities - Read Blueprints
- Reading Blueprints and Scale from Jourdan Hager - This teacher gave students blueprints for a WWII Curtiss P-40 Warhawk plane. Students then used proportional reasoning, like ratios and scale, to plan and draw a full size version using sidewalk chalk on the playground. Check out blueprints from https://drawingdatabase.com/curtiss-p-40-warhawk/. The table of contents from the book Actual Size might also give ideas of object to draw actual sized.
3.2 Activities - Sketch and Build 3D objects
- Use SketchUp to create 3D models or TinkerCAD.
3.4 Activities - Find and Calculate Rates
- Click Battle Desmos Activity - Students use unit rate to predict which robot will win a click race.
- Cookie Clicker game - This is a game that is all about using unit rates to determine what the most efficient strategy is for producing cookies. Give groups of students a time limit and see how many cookies they can make in that time. Ask them how they developed their best strategy.
3.5 Activities - Pay Stub Deductions
This outcome is similar to Mathematics Essentials 10 A2 (explain the difference between gross pay and net pay, and describe possible payroll deductions)